Followers

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

"There are far better things ahead than any we leave behind." - C.S. Lewis

We hit the middle mark in our semester. Now is the time when we should reflect on where we have been, and plan for what is to come in the future. I am relieved to have completed my portion of the fieldwork teaching experience, and I am excited to begin learning from my peers as they teach their social studies lessons to the fourth grade class. I am looking forward to being exposed to new teaching methods, lesson plan ideas, and technologies as these new lessons are implemented.

Wednesday 10/23/13:




Today in class we participated in Group 2's demonstration lesson. Their demonstration lesson was focused on the use of debates in a social studies lesson. The introduction portion of their lesson assessed the prior knowledge of students by asking if students knew what a debate was, what pros are, and what cons are. Students were then introduced to the "Do's of Debating" for the exploratory introduction. I liked that Group 2 provided students with a list of ways to debate appropriately in order to establish what kind of behavior students need to have during the debate. After going over the rules for debates, students were divided into two groups: pros and cons. This was the development portion of the lesson. We discussed an article about mandating exercise within school and childhood obesity. We were given specific amounts of time to create opening statements, to rebut the other groups statements, and to create closing statements. The expansion activity was discussing the reasoning and evidence finding we did during this activity (inquiry) and working together (cooperative). The independent practice portion of the activity was filling out a self and group evaluation worksheet.

I thought this lesson would be beneficial to use in my future classroom. Debates provide students with the ability to express their opinions and learn to listen and respect the opinions of others. This will prepare students to live in a democratic world. I plan to use this type of lesson for my Mount Saint Mary College block lesson plan for the American Revolution. I will be dividing students into two groups: revolutionary colonists and British loyalists.


Friday 10/25/13:

Today we did not have regularly scheduled class because Dr. Smirnova and members of Kappa Delta Pi are visiting Texas for the Achieving Chapter Excellence (ACE) Award Convocation Ceremony. I am very excited to hear about what they learned at the convocation so I can apply it to my current studies and future teaching.

Rather than waste this time, I completed the Cooperative Learning Reflection rubric regarding my performance as a group member and the performance of my fellow group members. Below I have provided so excerpts of my personal reflections from the questionnaire. 


What I did to help my group’s success with the meeting/project: I helped my group’s success by contributing meaningful ideas for our lessons and working closely with my group members throughout the fieldwork process. Our group’s biggest strength was the amount of communication we had between our members. We consistently met after school and communicated through emails and text messaging. I feel that I helped my group become successful because I am efficient at managing time and managing events. As we created the lessons, I made sure the group stayed on task and met the criteria for each section of the lesson during the correct period of our lesson planning. I offered constructive criticism to my group members and accepted and corrected my own mistakes during the implementation of the lesson without complaints. I was agreeable and supportive throughout the process.


My suggestions, ideas on how to improve CL group work, comments on the group meeting and its management: In the future, I think we could work to better prepare our group members. Rather than wait for a group member to ask questions about how or why we made lesson plan choices, we could, as a group, discuss our reasonings or offer explanations as to why we made particular choices. I also think we should aim to have more frequent group meetings prior to implementing our lessons. We tended to meet the day before and would spend three to four hours working. Instead, we could have met on two separate days for two our increments in order to separate ourselves from the lesson plan, improve our ideas, and edit the lesson plans.

I appreciate being provided with the opportunity to reflect on my own work personally, as well as the work of my peers. I enjoy being able to give credit to my peers, who worked extremely hard throughout the process of creating, implementing, and reflecting on lessons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment